The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration conducted a new study on distracted driving, and the results show the problem to be much worse than most people think. These are some of the highlights of the study:
• Distracted driving caused 3,100 deaths in 2013
• 10% of people video chat while driving
• 61% of people text and drive
• 33% of people check their email
• 17% of people take steering wheel selfies
• 30% of people admit to being on Twitter “all the time” while driving
46 states, including New York State, have laws against texting and driving. New York also has some of the most stringent cell phone laws in the country – a cell phone ticket or portable electronic device ticket in New York carries a penalty of 5 points. In addition, a cell phone only needs to be in the vicinity of a driver’s head for a police officer to issue a cell phone ticket.
If you receive a cell phone ticket or a portable electronic device ticket, please be sure to contact us immediately at 212-227-9008 to see how we may help you.
Photo Credit VisualHunt