The Secret to Avoiding a Driver’s License Suspension

You were caught speeding, failing to yield to pedestrians, texting/talking on your cell phone or driving through a light as it turned red when you shouldn’t have in New York City. These things can happen to the best of us but are you aware of what to do next? Do you know how to answer the ticket?

There are various ways to answer a summons for a moving violation. The first option is to plead via internet or via mail. You also can go to the Traffic Violations Bureau Office (TVB) to plead in person. If you are unsure as to where you should go, check the back of your summons. The location, website and contact information are located on the back of the ticket. You will have 15 days from the date the summons was issued to respond. If for some reason you miss that 15 day deadline, you’ll be okay as long as you respond within 30 days. Failure to respond can result in license suspension.

What happens if you plead guilty?

If your ticket contains points they will be added to your license if you plead guilty. There are circumstances where you or your attorney will be required to personally appear in front of a judge to enter a guilty plea.

What happens if you plead not guilty?

If you plead not guilty you will be given a hearing date and you must appear. If you hire an attorney and sign the proper documents, then the attorney will appear in court for you.

If you do not answer your summons in a timely fashion, you will receive notification from NYS. The notice is called an indefinite suspension order and will contain information on how to avoid a suspension. Once you receive the notice there will be another deadline to respond. Failure to meet that deadline will result in license suspension. Your license would be suspended for not paying the fine and a judgment would be entered against you. If your license is suspended then you will have to go to a TVB to have the suspension lifted. A suspension termination fee of $70.00 must be paid for every ticket for which you were suspended. Depending on how much time has elapsed, you may still be able to get a court date to contest the charges.

If you receive a summons for a moving violation we can fight for you. If you fail to respond to a ticket I may be able to help you but it’s imperative to contact me as quickly as possible. Give us a call at 212-227-9008 or email with any questions.