Getting pulled over for using ANY electronic device is a major offense. It is no wonder that when people get pulled over for talking on the their cellphone while driving they use all kinds of excuses to try to get out of their ticket. Take a look at the top 5 excuses I’ve stopped my clients from repeating in court:
1. I was using my GPS
2. I was just checking the time
3. I wasn’t using it, I was just holding it in my hand
4. It wasn’t my phone it was my comb. I was doing my hair.
– FYI- Then you’re still breaking the law. You must have both hands on the wheel.
5. I wasn’t on my phone, I was shaving.
– Shaving is still distracted driving, please don’t shave while driving. You could cause an accident or cut yourself.
6. I only had my phone in my hand because it fell on the floor and I had to pick it up.
7. I was stopped at a red light.
– If actually true and believed by the court, this is a defense. But if the officer’s statement is that the vehicle was in motion it’s hard to overcome. It’s best to NOT have your phone anywhere near you unless you are parked and the engine is off. Don’t touch it, look at it or play games on it.
Please remember: you must have BOTH hands on the wheel at all times while driving. It is never okay to “multi-task” while driving. If you are pulled over for driving while on your cell phone or any electronic device you will be ticketed and given 5 points. If this has happened to you please call my office immediately at 212-227-9008 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org